Monday, October 03, 2011

Before and After Pictures

Regular readers of this blog already know that I'm a closet ST fan (well, maybe not so closet-y) and that my first professional sale was a Star Trek short story for a Pocket anthology. But, for those of you new to this site, here goes:

Our youngest daughter, Biz, and I got our geek on this weekend and attended the Star Trek Convention in Chicago, near O'Hare. We came away with some fun photos and even better memories. What struck me most about our interactions with Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, and John deLancie was the energy with which they tackled what had to be an incredibly grueling weekend. These gentlemen were amazing.

Kudos to them all, especially Jonathan Frakes and Brent Spiner. The lines for their photo-ops were beyond belief. When Biz and I got in line (forgoing a portion of the Klingon Christmas Carol to do so) there were hundreds of people ahead of us. The line, about three deep, stretched at least two football fields in length. That's where we started. When we exited after our turn the line had stretched out again -- just as long -- after us. Wow. And the two stars' autograph lines (Biz and I don't do autographs) were neverending. All weekend.

**Let me just admit right here, that if MY signing lines were half as long, I would be over the moon.**

Despite the constant... and I do mean constant pressure from fans, they remained charming, funny, and warm. I was completely impressed.

What I wanted most from this weekend was for Biz to have a good time. You know how it is. No matter how old they get, you don't want your kids to be disappointed when they're counting on an event, or a person, to come through. I can say, without hesitation, that John deLancie, Jonathan Frakes, and Brent Spiner (her particular favorite because he said she was so cute) made the weekend for her. And for that I am grateful.

Now... you'll notice the pictures here. Yeah, we splurged and I popped for photo-ops with these guys. The thing is, although it's cool to attend a Star Trek convention with your mom, it isn't so cool to post pictures of the event with mom that your friends might see. Biz and I agreed that I get to be in the pictures and she gets to crop me out.

I got to spend a fun weekend with my daughter. Cropped out or not, somehow, I think I still win.

PS - I met the writer of one of my favorite TNG episodes there. When we talked and I told him about the WHChef series, he seemed interested. Turns out he's had some success bringing books to the small screen. Will this go anywhere? Who knows? But it was really cool meeting him.

PS-2 - You know how all three of these stars are handsome on screen? Well, I can assure you they're even more handsome in person. Just FYI

6 comments:

Dru said...

wow, you would never know that you were in the pictures.

Julie Hyzy said...

I know! She did an amazing job. Gives me an idea for a story. If someone with no experience in photoshop can do this so well, what about an expert who has a nefarious agenda? Could be fun!

Heather said...

That sounds like a great story line for a new book! I love it when you post about ST. :) Can't help it...So glad you got to enjoy some Trek time with your daughter again. I enjoyed seeing and reading the post about this on Facebook too. I was also a fan of Mr. deLancie on Days. Great fun before soaps got so serious all the time.

Can't wait till Jan.! I think an Ollie movie would be grand!

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Heather. This was such a fun weekend. We really enjoyed ourselves and I couldn't get over how positive and upbeat the stars were. This lineup will be very hard to beat.

Live Out Loud said...

Awwwww! I go to 'Stargate' conventions with my Mom. One year I met these great ladies - another mother daughter team. And this August I met a woman who came with her kids (though they sat elsewhere with their friends) and she said her Mom would have loved the convention but she died a little while ago.

So I love your Post because mother daughter teams at sci-fi conventions are hard to beat! Tell your daughter she doesn't have to be embarrassed - or just wait. One day she won't be.

Julie Hyzy said...

Hey, Jennifer! I have a feeling my daughter's embarrassment days will be over soon. Hope so. There were a couple of mother-daughter teams there. Pretty cool!