Monday, February 07, 2011

Lovey!


I am so very excited to announce that Grace Under Pressure won the Lovey Award for Best Traditional Mystery at the Love Is Murder Mystery Conference this weekend.

Woo-hoo!!

All those who won, especially Tasha Alexander, and Laura Caldwell, spoke about how much they love Love Is Murder. It truly is the warmest, most welcoming conference out there. But I was touched most personally, by Jamie Freveletti's speech. In it, she too talked about how much she enjoys Love Is Murder, but she went on to tell about her first time at the con. About how she and I met. Because her critiquer hadn't shown, and my critique-ee hadn't either, those in charge of the manuscript critique program put us together.

From the first sentence, I knew. Jamie can write. Powerfully and with incredible energy. On Saturday night, with her Lovey in her hand, she told the story of her first Love Is Murder and how encouraged she was to hear that I loved her work. Jamie can, indeed, write. She's amazing. She's won many awards... The Thriller Award and the Barry, I believe. Plus -- she's been tapped to write the next Ludlum novel.

What's especially great about this story is that at *my* first Love Is Murder, I met Debbie Brod. At that time Debbie not only had five books out, she was also an acquisitions editor for Tekno/Five Star and she agreed to read my first manuscript. Looking back, it was nowhere as good as Jamie's, but Debbie called me later with unbelievable news. Five Star wanted to publish me.

Debbie and Jamie are incredibly talented women. I'm just so happy to have met them at Love Is Murder and very lucky to count them both as good friends.


4 comments:

Dru said...

Congrats on your Lovey award.

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Dru!
:::big smiles:::!!

yabooknerd said...

congrats!

Julie Hyzy said...

Woo-hoo! Thanks, Jennifer!