Thursday, August 19, 2010

She is Kaput!

My old reliable desktop bit the dust this afternoon. I was in the middle of my final revision when it froze. Not just a normal, run of the mill freeze-up, this one is starting to look like a permanent condition.

I should have known. I'm on my second keyboard with this machine, and although I haven't yet worn holes in the keys on this one, it's close. The tower has been wheezing a little lately and the Internet takes forever to react.

So... I may be leaving PCs for good. If I need to replace it, I'll move to Mac.

Now... have you noticed how calm I am about all this? Not only do I back up by sending my manuscript to my Mac every night, I purchased Carbonite Backup for that machine almost a year ago. Have never needed it until now. Because I "send" my manuscript to myself each night, I always have a current copy. But today, when I froze up, it was mid-revision. If not for Carbonite, I would have lost about four hours of work.

Although they can't do a full upload to a Mac from a PC, I was able to go in and pull out a couple of files I needed. Wonderful. Easy. Had my file here in under three minutes. I should be able to do that as necessary. I'll have to figure out a way to move the bulk of the documents elsewhere before long. But not today.

My final major revision (of Murder Most Civil) is done. Just in time to start my minor revisions...

THANK YOU, CARBONITE!!!

4 comments:

Shel said...

Whew!! Good luck with your new Mac when you get it!

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Shel. I decided to take the monster in to the computer repair shop. Maybe if I can nurse it along for just a bit I can put off the expense of a new Mac. Plus my desktop PC is the *only* computer here hooked up to the printer. Which means we are printerless until it comes back. They said tomorrow or Saturday with the diagnostic, so we'll wait and see.

s76fitz said...

mac-pr-cnfig.txt
$3,195.95
Mac Pro
Ships: 5-7 business days
Part number: Z0LF
Configuration
One 2.8GHz Quad-C0re Intel Xeon
3GB (3x1GB)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
one 18x SuperDrive
Apple Magic Muse + Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keybard (English) & User's Guide
Micrsoft ffice Mac 2008 - Business Editin
Apple Mini DisplayPrt t DVI Adapter
Apple Mini DisplayPrt t VGA Adapter
COUNTRY KIT
Moving item t yur saved items
$799.00
Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel)
Ships: Within 24hrs
Part number: MB382LL/A
Moving item to your saved items
$249.00
AppleCare Prtectin Plan fr Mac Pr
(w/or wo/ Display) - Auto-enroll
Ships: Within 24hrs
Part number: S3135LL/A
Mving item t yur saved items
$69.00
MobileMe
Ships: Within 24hrs
Part number: BG139LL/A
Mving item t yur saved items
$99.00
1-year One to One membership
Ships: Within 24 Hurs via email
Part number: D4213Z/A
Tax & Shipping Calculatr
Shipping Zip
Ship Methd
Ship all items in a single shipment
Shw delivery infrmatin Delivery infrmatin shwn abve
* Cart subtotal
$4,411.95

* Free Shipping Shipping $0.00
* Savings -
* What's This? Estimated Tax
* Order Total
$4,411.95
* Ttal excluding VAT
* Estimated Tax
Cart Summary
Total
$4,411.95
* 0% interest n payments with 24 mnth lease.
* Free Shipping
Just Ask
* 1-800-854-3680
21 aug 2010

s76fitz said...

geeks DOT com /details.asp?invtid=MA589LLA-PB-R&cat=SYS