Sunday, August 29, 2010

No phone, no email... Ah, the life of a hermit!

Have I ever mentioned how much I don't care for talking on the phone? Oh sure, there are exceptions - my family, Rene, required business calls, etc., but - other than talking to someone in person - I *much* prefer email over any other form of communication.

I think I'm jaded from all those years of answering telemarketing calls. Thank heavens for Do-Not-Call lists. Caller ID is great, too, although there's still that problem with the dratted ringing phone. It always interrupts my train of thought. I know I can turn off the ringer, but I just can't bring myself to do so when my kids aren't in the house.

Anyway, I really prefer email. A lot.

Which is why it's going to be so hard to give it up. Yep, I'm giving up email. Seriously.
Don't panic, it's only temporary.

Starting Wednesday, September 1, 2010, I'm signing off. Going cold turkey. I'm stepping away from my email and I'm not looking back (well, not much anyway).

Why? Because I have two major projects to work on and the Internet is my single biggest time-sink. Other than sleeping. Hmm.... or maybe not.

Will I monitor email? Sure. A little. How can I not? But I won't be reading/responding to every single one that comes in, despite the aching temptation to do so. I'm going to focus on work, and put horse-blinders on my easily distracted head. Did you see the movie "Up"? Remember the dogs? "Squirrel!!" That's me.

My friend, Sheila Connolly will be standing in for me at Mystery Lovers' Kitchen for a while, so please visit there and make her feel welcome. She's got a new book coming out in October - FUNDRAISING THE DEAD. I read it and it's great.

I still intend to write my blog post for Killer Characters this month, so please stop by there on the 18th. Heck, stop by there every day. It's a great little blog. This month I might invite Bruce and Scott to visit and chat about Grace. Not sure. What do you think?

But back to Ollie: Even though Buffalo West Wing comes out January 4th, there's still book #5 to write (no title yet) and that's due in less than 3 months! Yikes!!!

Wish me luck. The quicker I get momentum going on my writing projects the sooner I'll be back.

4 comments:

Shel said...

Good luck and I'll miss you!

Sharon G. said...

Wow!! Three months? I'm having a panic attack for you!

Glad to hear that Buffalo West Wing is coming out in January. I'll finally have something to look forward to in that longest and bleakest of months.

Good luck with the new book. I'm sure it will be great.

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Shel! Miss you guys too!

Sharon - LOL Right now no panic attack here... can you tell? I'm back online - but just temporarily - I realized I forgot to check comments here! Thanks for the good luck wishes!

The Kashmeira said...

I think it's great, too many people spend their whole lives on the computer. Good luck!