Friday, June 25, 2010

Name change

Hiya,

So, as I'm writing this next installment in the Manor House Mysteries, it occurs to me that I don't often call it the "Manor House" series. I tend to refer to them as my "Grace books" - and that got me thinking.

(Btw - did 3,700 words yesterday and am at 2,000 today. Hope to get back in and crack 3k today.)

Here's my thought - what do you think about keeping "Grace" in all the titles? I think it has the potential to brand the series better and make it more recognizable. I also think it could be tough to come up with Grace-based phrases, but it could also be a lot of fun.

Right now I'm considering a new title for my second Manor House book. The storyline deals with a Civil War reenactor's murder on Marshfield grounds. The new title I'm thinking of?

Grace Under the Gun.

What do you think?

Julie

8 comments:

Linda said...

It seems it may be confused with the Grace and Favor books by Jill Churchill. That's the first thing I thought of when you said "Grace books". I do like the Manor House mysteries. Just my 2 cents. Love the White House Chef books!

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks Linda. "Grace and Favor" are new to me. I had no idea such a series existed, but I'm researching right now. Thanks for letting me know!
Julie

Shel said...

Julie, I had the same thought (about keeping Grace in all the titles) yesterday, but figured you (or the publisher) had already thought about it. I've read the Grace and Favor series , and really don't think there'd be any confusion. While the series is known as "Grace and Favor" none of the titles have "Grace" in them. I think it's a good "hook" to use.

Marlyn said...

I think it's a great hook.

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Shel, thanks, Marlyn. I like the idea of keeping Grace in the title, but it seems the consensus is to keep Murder Most Civil as the working title. This may all become moot when the publisher gets a hold of it, of course! Should be interesting!

Thanks!!
Julie

Denise said...

I'm with Shel, I have read the Grace & Favor series (and love it--wish Jill would come out with another one) but don't think your series would get confused with it at all. When I saw your concept for book two my brain immediately thought "Grace Under Fire". I like the idea of Grace in all the titles. Kind of like Jo Dereske's Miss Zukas series (although she changed in mid-stream with part of the books having Miss Zukas in the title and then some not which is a little confusing but I love Helma Zukas so I'm not complaining). Also Mary Daheim's Emma Lord series books all start with "The Alpine" in the title and then the next word goes down the alphabet. I love this series and since the next book out is with a "V" we are getting down to the end of the alphabet and I'm not sure what is going to happen then.

Anyway, I think the idea of Grace in the title would make the series more memorable than "Murder Most Civil".

yabooknerd said...

I Love the idea - keeps things together! Can't wait to read book 2 :)

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks Denise, thanks yabooknerd (love that name!!) - I really appreciate you guys weighing in! Denise, I'm thinking Grace Under Fire is a real possibility. I haven't read the Alpine books yet, but what a cool way to title them!

Thanks so much!!
Julie