Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stop and Smell the Irises



These came from my garden out back. Aren't they gorgeous? Lots more back there, too, but this year I'm trying (again) to encourage peonies and some of these beautiful blooms were blocking the new growth. So, why not clip them and enjoy them indoors, right?

I originally placed this vase on the kitchen table and set to work on a project right next to them. My husband came down to ask me to endorse a check for deposit and leaned over the table right next to the vase, handing me the check and the pen. I said, "What do you think of the flowers?" He looked behind me (toward the back yard) then off his right shoulder into the kitchen, then back outside, then back where he'd come from. I pointed and said, "They're right here." Truly less than six inches from his face. He turned and from his reaction (shocked!) I could tell that he hadn't been goofing around.

This was really one of those stop and smell the roses moments. Except this time it was irises.

Don't miss the irises in your life...

3 comments:

Shel said...

Those are gorgeous, Julie!

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Shel! They're even prettier in person!