Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Starred review Part Two... who'd a thunk?

There's a great blog post from just over a year ago here where Dave Cullen, the author of COLUMBINE, talks about getting a Starred Review from Publishers Weekly.

As I read his post today, I found myself grinning.

Monday, when I found out that GRACE UNDER PRESSURE had received a starred review, I called my husband at work and gushed all over the place. He was suitably happy for me and we signed off. Later that night, when he got home, he gingerly posed the question that had obviously been bugging him all day... "So this star you got? It's out of a possible how many?"

And with that I was again reminded of the fact that my writing world and my real world don't always communicate so well. I explained to him that books can't get more than *one* star. That "starred" is similar to "recommended." With a sigh of relief, he was then genuinely happy for me.

"So you thought it was ... like... one star out of five or something?" I asked him.
"Yup," he replied.
"And you were just going along with my giddiness because it seemed like the right thing to do, huh?"
"Pretty much."

Lucky him... over a glass of wine that night I explained everything I knew about Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Booklist, and Library Journal.

I'll bet he never asks for clarification again *grin*

Definitely check out Dave Cullen's blog. Congratulations and condolences. Too funny.

3 comments:

Shel said...

I just read this to Chris and he said to tell Curt that he probably would have done the same thing.

Chris said...

So if you can only get one star is that kind of like someone at Kirkus saying it didn't suck?

Julie Hyzy said...

Hey Shel ... Yeah, I think the "only one star?" is a natural reaction.

And Chris - that's *exactly* what it's like. Woo-hoo!!