Monday, March 08, 2010

North Carolina - Wonderful!


What can I say about my trip to North Carolina? Wonderful. Fabulous. Fun.

It was a total blast. And I have Molly Weston to thank. She (of Meritorious Mysteries here) arranged the Triple Threat Tour for me, Hank Phillippi Ryan, and Karen E. Olson. Molly not only set everything up, she graciously invited us into her home to stay. We met her husband, Noel, her dog Rags, and thoroughly enjoyed her hospitality.

Here we are at McIntyre Books in the Fearrington Village:




Take a look at the McIntyre website (link above). This had to be the most beautiful bookstore I've ever encountered. Just gorgeous. Our host, Pete, above, asked us to sign copies of our books to him personally. I was thrilled to do so, but felt the need to apologize. After all, one of the most unpleasant characters in my White House Chef books is Peter Everett Sargeant...




Here we are Sunday morning at Flyleaf books. This is a wonderful brand-new store in Chapel Hill, and I highly recommend you visit if you can. Jamie (lower left in the picture) set up a fabulous display of our books. I wish you could see it close up!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Quail Ridge Books. I had a lovely chat with Warren when Molly and I stopped by to pick up six big boxes of books for our tour. I'm happy to report that we sold most of them, and discovered that most readers want the first in the series first. Those were the first to go -- and they went quickly!

An incredibly great event took place Friday night. Karen Kiley of the Cary Library, hosted us at the historic Page-Walker hotel. Wonderful turnout - and we even had music, punch, and nibbles as we mingled with readers before our presentation. Karen is just a bundle of fun and we enjoyed meeting her husband, Joe. Still wish we could have seen him with the light-up cheeks! (You had to be there...)

After the Triple Threat Tour, I drove to Asheville on my own to visit the Biltmore Estate. More on that in an upcoming post....

Thank you, North Carolina! I have nothing but warm, wonderful memories of my week out there!

7 comments:

Shel said...

Glad you're home safely! I bet you had a blast with Hank and Karen, and the Biltmore is something I've always wanted to see.

Julie Hyzy said...

We did have a blast! It was the best. And you would love Biltmore, Shel. Gorgeous and huge. The Inn at Biltmore and the winery there were really impressive, too. I'd love to go back!
Julie

Avery Aames said...

You are so cute. Your energy and enthusiasm leaps off the page (in life and in your writing.) So glad you had a great tour. How could you not with Hank and Karen along for the ride!
~Avery
AveryAames.com

Julie Hyzy said...

You are so sweet, Avery! Hank and Karen were the best. We really had such a wonderful time! Can't wait until your Cheese Shop Mysteries debut! Counting down!
Julie

Janean said...

Julie, loved meeting all 3 of you in Cary and after I have reviewed your book and it is up on the site I will email you a link. Thanks again for coming to Cary, NC and the next time you are at the White House make sure you can use that wheelchair. Janean

Julie Hyzy said...

Janean - thanks so much! I loved Cary - what a wonderful program and such great people! Thanks so much for the wonderful, warm welcome. I look forward to reading your review!
Julie

Msmstry said...

Well, I'm late again! Thanks for all your kind words. It was great having you here. I look forward to seeing you again soon and to reading GRACE UNDER PRESSURE. I always enjoy starting a new series. And I can't wait to see what happens to Ollie in the future.

Less work…more reading!