Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I feel terrible

Today... just today mind you, I had to turn down two friends who asked me to read and critique their manuscripts. I'd already turned down several other people in the past couple of months. But the hits just keep on coming... Another friend had asked me to blurb his book and I just don't think I can do it. He just emailed a few minutes ago asking if I'd had time to read his manuscript yet. I haven't.

I feel terrible. I want to help - so much - but time has this nasty habit of slipping away. Another friend asked me to read his manuscript for critique - about a year ago - and I told him I couldn't but that I'd go over the first three chapters when the book was finished. Well, he got the chapters to me a week or so ago but I have no idea when I'll get a chance to read. Critiquing takes a lot more concentration than reading for blurb. When I agreed, I thought -- three chapters will be easy. But I'm finding I'm wiped out by the end of the day and can't put my mind to it.

This year is already chock full of events and this was the year I'd planned to take it slow. Hasn't worked out that way. I'm not complaining -- I really prefer to be busy -- but my family and my writing have to take precedence. Otherwise I'm in deep trouble. It seems once I get my writing quota done for the day, and after I take care of kid-related or husband-related tasks, there's just no downtime.

If you're reading this, and you ever ask me for a blurb or for a critique and I beg off, please know that in my heart I really want to help. I just can't find the time anymore.

2 comments:

nacheska said...

Ahhh, time...it is more valuable than money and the greatest commodity. We have to prioritize as busy women and I feel your pain...but isn't it grand that we are in this predicament?

Julie Hyzy said...

It is grand. And I wouldn't trade this for the world, but letting people down hurts and I hate to do it.

Thanks for stopping by ;-)