Monday, January 11, 2010

Eggcitement, Disappointment, and Fresh Starts

Today's the last day to enter the SPOT THE BOOK contest. I love hearing from readers who have reported seeing Eggsecutive Orders all over the country! Too fun! I'm also eggcited to report that my local BN has 18 copies in stock. Over the years I've visited there a bunch of times to let them know I'm willing to sign stock, and it's finally paying off! Woo-hoo. Now I have to hope readers are intrigued enough to pick them up so they're not sent back ;-)

What's disappointing to me is discovering that my closest Borders bookstore (directly across the street from the BN) is out of stock. I would be jumping up and down if they'd ordered 50 and had sold out, but they only ordered 3 and they have no plans to order more. And there's no one there to talk with about this... nobody knows who should be ordering, and they don't seem terribly interested in doing so.

I really appreciate my local BN these days. They used to be a hard nut to crack, but over time they've started to mellow. They even allowed me to put bookmarks up by the registers this time. But I have to admit, I really love independent bookstores. That's where you can talk with real people, all the time. They answer their own phones, they know their stock, and they know their author friends. I love 'em.

Enough complaints for today... I turned in first edits on Buffalo West Wing this morning (I know there will be more, later!) and I plan to start work on the second Manor of Murder novel today. Pretty excited about that.

I exercised two days in a row, I have a new agent, as well as a project I'm eager to work on -- I'm reading a couple of wonderful books, I'm determined to lose 5 pounds, and it's January. A perfect time for fresh starts!



3 comments:

Shel said...

Well, how rude of them! Glad to hear your new year is going so well, Julie, and I'm looking forward to seeing you in DeKalb!

Michele Emrath said...

I'm sorry for your frustration, but way to go on your personal successes! I, too, have been impressed with B&N more and more. They sent a rep to a writer's conference I attended, and he really emphasized their willingness to be advocates for the writer. Of course, they have money at heart. But they wouldn't be anywhere without us!

Best of luck in sales!

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

Julie Hyzy said...

Looking forward to seeing you in Dekalb too!!

Michele - thanks for your comment. That's great to know that BN is eager to work with writers and be advocates for us. That's wonderful to hear. Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for stopping by. Best of luck to you as well.

Julie