Monday, November 23, 2009

Read-aloud time

Very busy weekend with all three daughters here to keep us busy and laughing. I did absolutely nothing writing-related and that choice (heck, my kids were home... there really was no choice involved), caused me to have quite the nightmare last night.

I dreamt that I still hadn't finished my first draft of Buffalo West Wing, and that I still had about 20k words to go. As you may remember, the manuscript is due December 1st and with all sorts of events happening this week, I have today and tomorrow morning to work on it. I can probably squeeze in a little work time on Friday and possibly next Monday. In my dream, I knew exactly what day it was -- and how little time I had left -- but I had absolutely no idea how I'd get those additional 20k words written. And, as is typical for anxiety dreams, I couldn't even remember what the book was about!

Waking up in a cold sweat, I was thrilled to realize that, although I don't have any additional days to work, the manuscript is complete. The last step - reading aloud - is all I have left to do. I usually find quite a few typos in this process, and I usually make a bunch of word-choice changes, but the story shouldn't vary much.

All in all, I think I'll be able to really relax once this book is turned in.

And then I have not one, but two big treats waiting for me. Two writer friends asked me for blurbs. So I have lots of happy reading ahead. I'll keep you in suspense as to who they are until I finish reading. I promise -- no plot spoilers!

Hope you have a wonderful week.

Julie

2 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Isn't it wonderful that things always look better in the light of day. Can't wait to find out about the blurbs. Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Julie Hyzy said...

Things sure do look better in the morning!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Mason!