Thursday, October 01, 2009

Diana Gabaldon

Yes!! My friend Rene and I went to Diana Gabaldon's book signing last night. The event was held at North Central College, sponsored by Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville. Wonderful event! Ms. Gabaldon is just so entertaining. As Rene put it, we could have listened to her for three more hours.












This is us before the event started and before the "pre-show entertainment" began. Can you imagine being such a popular author that you get a warm-up act? We listened to bagpipe music and watched highland dancers for about a half hour before the 7:00 PM start.

Ms. Gabaldon was gracious enough to pose with us and I think it was probably her husband who took the picture. Look at this woman (I'll have what *she's* having!) - she's absolutely lovely and claims to have been married for 34 years. She barely looks that old. Oh my gosh - I would *love* to look half that good when I'm married for that long.


Let me tell you a secret.... I really, really hoped that when we first got there and picked up our tickets, the Anderson booksellers would say, "Julie Hyzy? Don't you write the White House Chef books?" But of course ::: sigh ::: that didn't happen.
;-)

No matter. We had an absolutely *great* time and I can't wait until this manuscript is done so that I can lose myself in the Outlander series once again.

4 comments:

Shel said...

Julie, I'm so glad you had fun. I'd never even seen a picture of Ms. Gabaldon, have no clue how old she is, but wow, you're right, she barely looks 34, much less to have been married that long. Her husband must rejuvenate her.
Too bad I wasn't working at the bookstore, you'd have gotten more than recognized, and probably more attention than you wanted!

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Shel.
She really does look great. And she has such presence. I'd seen her once before at Anderson's but the bookstore was crowded and we all stood the whole time. This new venue - in an auditorium was perfect. I suspect, from listening to her, that her husband does indeed rejuvenate her ;-)

Julie

robyn hyzy said...

Aww! You should have told me where this was and I could have crashed it saying something like "Diana Gabaldon? Who is that? I'm here to see Julie Hyzy!!"

Julie Hyzy said...

That's my girl!
;-)

Love ya!
Mom