Monday, August 24, 2009

Updates and other fun stuff

Our Midwest Mystery Writers of America Hot Ticket event is really coming together. If you're going to Bouchercon in October and would like to visit with some of the biggest names in mystery fiction:

Lee Child
Michael Connelly
Joseph Finder
Sue Grafton
Charlaine Harris
Carolyn Hart
David Morrell
Sara Paretsky
PJ Parris (both!)
SJ Rozan
Wendelin Van Draanen

please visit the Midwest Chapter website for further information. Ten fans will sit around a boardroom table and be able to ask questions and just --- talk --- with a favorite author. If you're interested in winning a ticket, visit the Midwest Chapter Website for details. Five tickets for each author will be "won" via contest. The other five will be drawn, lottery style.

On a personal note - I had some difficulty setting up my hotel room for Bouchercon this time. Long story - and way too boring to relate - but suffice it to say that I had my doubts about the "third party booking company's" ability to get things right. Just after midnight last night, it dawned on me that I forgot to confirm things with the hotel. I tried to put it out of my head, but I tossed and turned until about 1:00 in the morning. At that point I decided I *needed* to call the hotel and confirm. Yes I know I'm a couple of months early, but there have been so many mess-ups, that I needed to make sure. And for some reason, it had to be that last night. There I was at 1:10 AM, calling the Westin, Indianapolis. And guess what? They were in the midst of a system audit and couldn't verify anything. Sigh... I finally fell asleep at about 2:30. Feeling it now. But this morning I *was* able to verify everything and I'm feeling much better now ;-)

In other news... I found a really great review of Hail to the Chef online today: Mayhem and Magic - it's always so great to find good reviews online. Actually, it's great to find good reviews wherever they appear! ;-) I always feel like it's an especially good day when I happen upon a site like Mayhem and Magic. After my sleepless night, this was a welcome surprise. Please check it out!

I'm continuing to update the White House Chef Mystery Series blog with recipes from the books. I had planned to end that outlet, but it looks like people are interested in having Ollie's recipes available online. So here they are. I'll continue to add more in the coming weeks.

If you subscribe to my newsletter, and you've entered the "Eggceptional" contest, there's good news. The contest will remain open through September. So keep those eggcellent words coming!

Lastly, I'm the Tuesday blogger at Mystery Lovers' Kitchen. Please stop by!

2 comments:

Shel said...

I'm so glad you're leaving Ollie's recipes up online! Just added you to my "authors" folder of blog bookmarks along with Mystery Lover's Kitchen and Cozy Chicks.

Julie Hyzy said...

Thanks, Shel! I should be adding a new "Ollie" recipe soon. And thanks for bookmarking us!

Julie