Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Raspberry Lemon Drop


I am in search of a raspberry lemon drop martini. Seriously.

Back in May, when I visited Sarasota, Florida for my daughter's graduation, I had the pleasure of being invited to the Ritz-Carlton hotel for drinks and camaraderie by Paul and Mitch, my brother, and for all intents and purposes, my brother-in-law.

Anyway, they love the Ritz. I'd been there the week before (as you may recall) for the Jeffrey Katzenberg reception and I raved about the high tea service. Fabulous place.

When we all went there for drinks one evening, the waitress suggested their special Raspberry Lemon Drop and I decided, why not?

Well, it was fabulous. Best martini ever. (I confess that martinis have little to no effect on me. Wine will put me to sleep and/or make me slur my words after one glass. Martinis -- nuthin')

Since returning home, I've been searching in vain for a place up here that serves Raspberry Lemon Drops. Anybody have any ideas? I've requested them at places where they weren't on the menu and the bartenders have made valient attempts ... but no luck. I found one on the menu at Buca di Beppo yesterday. Whoa! Ordering that was a mistake! The waitress said she couldn't find any raspberries so she was about to substitute blueberries. Give me a break.

When the bartender finally found some raspberries, she brought them to the table and unceremoniously plopped them into my less-than-tasty Lemon Drop. Yeah. Didn't make it any better, and the unappetizing method of delivery made me question why we decided to eat there in the first place. I won't make that mistake again.

So, does anyone have any ideas where one might find a quality Raspberry Lemon Drop? I swear I'm no lush, I probably have a drink once a month (at the most) -- but that's why it's so important I don't waste my time on bad concoctions.




7 comments:

Jen said...

Isn't there a Ritz in Chicago? Otherwise, here is a recipe to make them at home...

http://www.make-martinis-at-home.com/lemondroprecipes.html

PS - Love the books, can't wait for your next one.

Julie Hyzy said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks so much! There is a Ritz in Chicago, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm hoping they make it exactly the same way the Sarasota Ritz did. And you're right ... I should give it a shot ... will give me something fun to look forward to on my next trip into the city!

Thanks for the kind words on my books!

Best,
Julie

Valerie said...

Dear Julie,

I work at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota and happened to come across your blog today. I was able to work some magic and procure the recipe for our Raspberry Lemon Drop Martini straight from the bartender who created it!

Items needed:

1 1/2 oz. of raspberry vodka (Stoli razz or Van Gogh Razz work the best)
2 oz. of fresh sour mix (equal parts simple syrup and lemon juice)
1/2 oz. Chambord raspberry liqueur
Sugar in the raw.

To make: combine the raspberry vodka and sour mix in a shaker and shake until ice cold. Pour into a sugar rimmed martini glass. Slowly pour the Chambord directly in the center of the glass and it should settle on the bottom of the martini. Garnish with a spear of fresh raspberries and enjoy!

I hope it turns out as fabulous as you remember it to be. Please enjoy and make sure to come back and visit us at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota soon!

Best Regards,
Valerie

Julie Hyzy said...

Valerie -- thank you!!
Wow, I'm touched you took the time to find this out. Thank you. I wish I had your e-mail to thank you directly!

You've totally made my day.
What a thoughtful thing to do! I can't wait to try this out at home.

Best,
Julie

123 123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frederick Milton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frederick Milton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.