Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Whirlwind

I was going to title this "Reverse Chronology" because I have so much to talk about and I planned to start with the most recent events and work backward. But I changed my mind. After giving it some thought, I decided I'd talk about Edgar Week first, then talk about Robyn's graduation from Ringling and all the excitement surrounding that weekend.

Edgar Week:
This was my very first experience at the Edgars. I planned to attend the two-day symposium, but after Tuesday morning, I ducked out to have lunch with Judy Bobalik at the Comfort Diner (great food, great conversation) and then headed back to the hotel to get ready for the launch party for Blue Religion at the Mysterious Bookshop.

I confess, I was tempted to skip this event until Judy talked me into going. I wasn't sure I'd know enough people to fit in, and I wasn't sure what I'd do while everyone else was catching up and sharing stories. But you know what? I had a wonderful time! Absolutely wonderful.

Roseann Coleman, Reed Farrel Coleman's wife, is a an absolute sweetheart. I met her for the first time and she was just so much fun, and so interesting to talk with. She and Judy knew just about everyone there, and were more than happy to introduce me. I met Ken Isaacson, who I recognized as a "friend on MySpace" (or Crimespace, or both?) and he is such a nice guy. I also met Jim O'Keefe, who I'd been corresponding with online regarding setting up Midwest MWA meetings in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and he had a copy of State of the Onion for me to sign. I was thrilled to do so, of course. And I was so happy to meet so many great people.

Paul Guyot, who was signing Blue Religion, introduced me to Alafair Burke, who was signing too. She's great. Very down-to-earth. Later she showed me a pic of her French bulldog and I just love folks who love their pets ... you know?

Okay, have to run. Time to take the car in. More later. Very soon.

No comments: