Thursday, May 08, 2008

Day Two of Edgar Week

Day Two:

I skipped out on the symposium (again) because I had a chance to meet with Erin C. Niumata, my agent. It was great to meet face-to-face and to see FOLIO's offices. I gotta tell you - even though I've signed the agreement and I know I'm officially represented - I was still really nervous. I mean, I've never been represented for any of my other books and I wanted to make a good impression. I can tell you that Erin put me at ease right away. I was thrilled to meet Jeff Kleinman, too. Good people. I'm really happy to be here.

Later, I tagged up with Judy Bobalik again. Marcus Sakey had made it in and the three of us planned to meet Tasha Alexander at The Algonquin before the Agents and Editors party that evening. While we sat in the Hyatt's bar, Larry Gandle joined us. A little while later, Patricia Smiley came by, too. I just love the way groups gather. Chitchatting ran late, and instead of heading to the Algonquin in my high heels, I opted to take a cab with Larry and Patty to The Lighthouse, where the party was being held.

Can I just say how much fun this was? Tasty hors d'oeuvres, decent wine, and lots and lots of wonderful conversation. Jim O'Keefe introduced me to Mary Higgins Clark (how cool!) and I met up with Karen Hutchinson (who I'd met at the symposium the day before) who's one of our MWA members from Chicago. James Lincoln Warren was there, and it was nice to see a new-familiar face. I love that. I was able to meet and speak briefly with my editor, Natalee, and with her assistant, Michelle. So many people there ... I was surprised (though I probably shouldn't have been) to see Barb D'Amato and Mark Zubro. It's always nice to meet up with folks from "home."

I'm going on and on here with lots of names, and I know I'll forget to mention most of them, so I'd better stop before I get myself in trouble.

No comments: